The Slamdance Film Festival accepts films in every genre, on any topic, from every country around the world. We spotlight low-budget Narrative and Documentary Features by first-time directors, Breakout Features from non-first time directors, short films across genres, and episodes. We do not disqualify any films based on premiere status or date of completion.
The festival program is selected entirely from our blind submissions pool and no films are given special treatment based on who made them or who they know. Over 200 Slamdance alumni filmmakers are responsible for the programming and organization of the festival. Comprised of a variety of backgrounds, interests, and talents, but with no individual filmmaker’s vote valued more than any other, Slamdance’s committees have been able to stay close to the DIY spirit and bleeding-edge of contemporary filmmaking.
Mon, May 20 2019
Mon, July 15, 2019
Features $60 Shorts $40
Mon, August 26, 2019
Features $80 Shorts $55
Features $60 Shorts $40 (POC Director Discount)
Thur, October 3, 2019
Features $100 Shorts $65
Thur, October 10, 2019
Features $110 Shorts $70
Over 40 minutes. Not yet distributed in the US or online.
- Directed by 1st-time Narrative Feature director(s)
- Budget under $1 million
- Directed by 1st-time Documentary Feature director(s)
- Budget under $1 million
- Documentary or Narrative
- Directed by Non-1st-time feature director(s)
- No budget restriction
Under 40 minutes. No distribution restrictions. Narrative, Documentary and Animation categories are Academy Award® and BAFTA qualifying. Shorts that blur the lines between categories will be shared and considered by all appropriate programming committees.
All fiction genres, subjects and forms welcome
All non-fiction genres, subjects and forms welcome
All mediums, genres, styles, and subjects welcome. Significant portion of film must be made in frame-by-frame manner (live-action footage of puppets is not animation)
Non-narrative films that may be conceptual, abstract, graphic, didactic, or otherwise unclassifiable. Films that challenge the definition of what film can be.
Pilots and single episodes of any length, genre, and style made for any broadcast platform. No distribution restrictions.
DEPARTMENT OF ANARCHY
YOU CANNOT SUBMIT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF ANARCHY.
We like to think of Anarchy as an anti-genre. It is a form of resistance to dominant cultural paradigms. The films value innovation of form, violation of taboo, and disdain for institutional modes of representation.
Anarchy is programmed out of exceptionally deviant films found in all other Shorts categories. Programmers of other categories will recommend films for Anarchy. If you think your short film fits the description above but are afraid its anarchousness might slip through the cracks, let us know at email@example.com.
Submit through any of the following platforms. The POC Director Discounted Fee is available exclusively through FilmFreeway through August 26, 2019.
By entering Slamdance Film Festival, you agree to follow Submission Rules:
- We consider films in any language, from anywhere in the world. If your film is not in English, make sure it has English subtitles where necessary.
- We consider work in progress. Entrants are encouraged to include a title card describing what is unfinished at the beginning of their submission screener.
- We consider films regardless of their premiere status. Even if your film already premiered at another festival, it’s still eligible.
- Only features that have not been distributed in the US are eligible for Slamdance. Entrants must notify the festival at once if their distribution status changes.
- There’s no distribution rule for shorts and episodes. All short films and episodes, including those released online, are eligible.
- Entrants can update their edit any time by uploading a new video file into the same link on Vimeo, so the submission link stays the same. Do not send us new links.
- Accepted filmmakers must own rights to their film and all its components by the time of the festival.
- If accepted, entrants are responsible for delivering their exhibition copy and other materials, such as: trailer, screener link, press stills, and press-kit, by deadline.
- If accepted, filmmakers are required to do their best to attend the festival.
- Jury Award for Narrative Feature
- Jury Award for Documentary Feature
- Jury Award for Narrative Short
- Jury Award for Documentary Short
- Jury Award for Animation Short
- Jury Award for Experimental Short
- Audience Award for Narrative Feature
- Audience Award for Documentary Feature
- Audience Award for Best of Breakouts
- Outstanding Acting Award
- Spirit of Slamdance Award (all participating filmmakers vote to determine which film/filmmaker best represents the Spirit of Slamdance)
Russo Brothers Fellowship
Established in 2018 by Slamdance alums and critically acclaimed directors Anthony and Joe Russo (Avengers: Endgame), the Fellowship is designed to foster and support young filmmakers while creating a platform for new and emerging talent.
Anthony and Joe will select one filmmaker to receive a $25,000 prize, consisting of an office at their new Los Angeles based studio, mentorship from Anthony and Joe, and a cash stipend for one year.
CreativeFuture Innovation Award
Through their mission to advocate for copyright protections and to empower creatives, CreativeFuture embraces all forms of current and future storytelling mediums. They present this award to a Slamdance media artist who exemplifies the innovative spirit of filmmaking and is creating unique work through the extraordinary use of technology.
Each year significant cash and service prizes are awarded to Sparky Award recipients, including theatrical and festival screening opportunities through Slamdance Cinema Club and Slamdance On the Road throughout the year after each festival.
Slamdance takes place annually in the beautiful ski resort town of Park City, Utah, down the street and at the same time as the Sundance Film Festival. Slamdance offers an intimate community experience in which audience members, filmmakers, festival programmers and industry professionals all mingle in the same hallways and sit side by side in screening rooms to discover the next generation of cinema talent.
During the week of the festival, the Slamdance headquarters, box office, filmmaker lounge and screening rooms are all tucked away in the cozy corridors of the Treasure Mountain Inn located at the top of Main Street. We invite you to venture up the hill – you never know who you might bump into!
Treasure Mountain Inn
255 Main Street
Park City, UT 84060
To get the full Slamdance experience, purchase one of our All-Access passes! We offer discounted passes for students and Utah residents.
Online pass sales will open in October 2019. Prices to be announced.
The All-Access pass grants film lovers access to:
-All festival screenings
-Daily happy hours in the filmmaker lounge
-Closing night party
The Slamdance Box Office is located in the lobby of the Treasure Mountain Inn. Online ticket sales will open before Christmas!
$14 - Features
$10 - Shorts
To stay up to date on pass and ticket sales, sign up for our newsletter below!